Re: Rover V8 Oil Pressure

To: "Susan and John Roper" <vscjohn@huntnet.net>,
Subject: Re: Rover V8 Oil Pressure
From: "James Nazarian Jr" <james.nazarian@colorado.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:43:31 -0600
how does all this relate to the old rule of thumb 10#s per 1k rpm?  It
would seem if an engine only makes 40#s then you shouldn't rev over 4k?
But the mechanical redline (piston speed assuming no valve float) doesn't
happen until 7700 rpm

James Nazarian
71 B Roadster
71 BGT

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
Enzo Ferrari

----------
<buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Rover V8 Oil Pressure
> Date: Saturday, September 02, 2000 1:13 PM
>
> Actually, 8-10# at idle at operating temp would be quite acceptable.
Rovers, SD1
> and later(Ihave no recent experience with pre-SD1 stuff) will not make
30# at idle
> unless there is something unusual in the oiling system.  A 3.5L TR8
engine that I
> recently sold would make 25# at cold idle,  stock 70k engine,  but at
normal temp it
> was down to 10 as expected.  Be cautious about using high viscosity oils.
 The gear
> drive has known limits and attempts to make the system produce high
pressures can
> lead to failure.  The system is designed to move volume, not make
pressure.  My
> experience with bottom ends for the race car carefully assembled with
components
> properly machined, flow restrictors in the heads, relieved passages in
the block,
> and a pressure regulator on the relief valve resulted in some very high
cold idle
> pressures, which dropped below 20# at temp.  John
>
> Larry Hoy wrote:
>
> > Lets see if I can sort this out.  This gets confusing so hang on.
> >
> > Glen Wilson writes:
> >
> > >Larry,
> > >
> > >Pardon me if I'm jumping into this thread in the middle and have
missed
> > something, but 8-10 psi oil pressure at idle doesn't sound normal to
me.

> > Glen wrote the above because I posted the following question.
> >
> > >John, your reply was regarding the 8-10 pound oil pressure at idle,
what would
> > be the typical pressure at driving speeds (2000-3000 rpm)?
> >
> > I asked the question because John had posted the following answer and I
thought
> > he was responding to the idle oil pressure:
> >
> > >Your pressure is about  what is to be expected.  The Rover motor does
not make
> > high pressures.
> >
> > John was replying because David Brown stated:
> >
> > >I recently installed an oil gauge and discovered that my NEW (well,
17K miles
> > now) 4.6 block is only getting 8-10 psi at idle.
> >
> > And he further stated:
> >
> > >my cruise pressure is around 35-40 psi, so not too bad.
> > >
> > >What can I do to beef up the 3.5L oil pump?
> >
> > Whew, did you figure that out?  I did my research and found the *1961
Buick*