Re: Rover V8 Oil Pressure

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Rover V8 Oil Pressure
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@huntnet.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 14:13:18 -0500
Actually, 8-10# at idle at operating temp would be quite acceptable.  Rovers,
SD1
and later(Ihave no recent experience with pre-SD1 stuff) will not make 30# at
idle
unless there is something unusual in the oiling system.  A 3.5L TR8 engine that
recently sold would make 25# at cold idle,  stock 70k engine,  but at normal
temp it
was down to 10 as expected.  Be cautious about using high viscosity oils.  The
gear
drive has known limits and attempts to make the system produce high pressures
can
lead to failure.  The system is designed to move volume, not make pressure.  My
experience with bottom ends for the race car carefully assembled with components
properly machined, flow restrictors in the heads, relieved passages in the
block,
and a pressure regulator on the relief valve resulted in some very high cold
idle
pressures, which dropped below 20# at temp.  John