Transmission

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:24:00 -0500
-> I recently acquired a Buick V8 which I'm planning to put in a Triumph
-> GT-6. However, this engine came with an adaptor plate and an
-> automatic O.D transmission. I would prefer to use a standard
-> transmission ( 4 or 5 speed )

 I can't help you with the trans, but I've done a Spitfire swap before.
The stock Spit trans is very small and the cardboard cover over it is
too small even for most manual boxes.  When I put a 400 Chevy and
Powerglide into a '69 Spitfire I laid layers of wet newspaper over the
trans to about 1/2" thickness and then laid fiberglass over that.  When
it was cured, I lifted it and dug the newspaper out.  Almost instant
form-fitting trans cover.

 BTW, I wound up doing surgery on the frame rails where they pinch
together into an X.  I wound up cutting both rails completely away to
clear the trans, then used the cut-out pieces and .090 sheet steel to
re-form the cut-outs and weld them back in so they would clear the
trans.  For a manual box you might be able to avoid all that; the
Powerglide's oil pan ran slam into the frame rails.

I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?
=================================== http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm