Re: [British-cars] TR4 mechanical tachometer stopped.

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>,british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [British-cars] TR4 mechanical tachometer stopped.
From: terry cowan <terry@toyshop-resto.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:20:29 -0700
Phil, a simple way to check the rev-counter is simply disconnect the
cable at the gauge,
pull the cable down so you can see the end and start the car, if the
cable turns it is most
likely going to be in the Gauge itself. This way you take a step out
of the work, if the cable
does not turn it can be a few things, broken cable, loose cable, most
likely not the engine
drive since its gear driven, if the cable is broken it is most likely
to be head in the Tach
starting to freeze up, or the cable needs lube either one will break
the cable. And yes they
do just stop like that, if you do it this way you don,t have to worry
about the direction of the
drill motor, the gauge would prefer you not run it backwards, plus
its cleaner at the start of the
job if you just undo the cable at the gauge !!
Cheers, Terry