wire wheels and knockoffs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: wire wheels and knockoffs
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:07:16 -0800
   What should have been a quick question turned into a discussion with
some friends.  When you put a knockoff back on your wheels, should you
tighten it on the ground or off the ground ?

   A friend says that just like a bolt on wheel you can't really tighten it
off the ground and you have to hammer it on the ground so you can get a
really good hit on it.

   I was taught whack it off the ground and re-check it after a few miles
and that is good enough.  You do it off the ground so the wheel can center
itself on the hub cone and they are supposed to self-tighten.  Yes when you
hit them they move but you are still getting them pretty tight.

  Any wisdom on which is correct ?  A search on the web was not conclusive,
I found both answers but favored the off the ground still on the jack method.

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/