Re: Le Mans

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (SOL)
Subject: Re: Le Mans
From: tjhiggin@mapapp1.iss.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 19:55:46 -0500 (CDT)
Berry Kercheval wrote:

> Well, I spent Father's day watching the Le Mans coverage on speedvision: the
> new DirecTV dish was my present.
>
> There were few Brits out there, just MG (!) and Bentley (!!!).  The MGs were
> very fast but retired with mechanical and electric (!) problems.  One Bentley
> retired with an electric fire, but the other was consistently quick and took
> third place overall, pretty darn good considering that GTP cars have to use
> tires a full two inches narrower than the winning Audi P900 cars.
>
> I was sure proud to drive my '66 Bentley today...

You realize the Bentley cars used the same engine as the Audis?  So
for all practical purposes it was another 1-2-3 for Audi.

I was at the race.  My first time to go to Le Mans.  Fun time except
for the rain.   I felt sorry for the people camping in tents.  At
least I had a warm dry place to go back to.  We had 14 people packed
into a little farmhouse about 1.5 miles from the track.  Cozy, but
warm & dry.

I was happy to see the Chrysler Mopar finish 4th.  I was pulling for
Panoz, though.  At least the rain made the race interesting.
Otherwise Audi would have run away with it.  They might have taken
the top 4 spots, with Bentley 5 and 6!

The Alpine that won the Index of Thermal Efficiency in '61 ('62?) was
there as part of the vintage race, so that was cool.

One of the most-discussed topics was the priciness of the items for
sale in the Bentley pavilion.  19 pounds sterling for a t-shirt, and
an ugly shirt at that.  22 pounds for a baseball cap.  44 pounds for a
polo shirt.  Cheapest thing they had was a mouse pad for 6 pounds, I
bought one for a local friend with a '61 Bentley S2.  The pound is
about US$1.45.  Over $63 for a polo shirt!  So there wasn't as much
Bentley gear being worn by the fans as you might expect.

I'm writing a long message about my trip, I'll post it here in a day
or two.

--
T.J. Higgins
tjhiggin@ingr.com