Re: Hayward ABFM & swap meet

To: twakeman@cruzers.com
Subject: Re: Hayward ABFM & swap meet
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:49:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi TeriAnn,

>>Which one needs the most parts?
>
>PLEEEEAAASSSEEE Roland, both my cars are in good operating condition 8*)
>
>The LR just got a high gear ratio transfer case, new front ring & pinion,
>new front brakes, new front axle, on board air compressor and tank and
>rear ARB air locker.
>
>The TR3A just got a new used factory grill (larger air openings than the
>repro grill).

Hey, then you don't need to go to no stinking swap meet!

>Hows the 289 Cobra rebuild coming?  I see massages asking about parts
>every once and a while but not heard a project status update in a LONG
>time.  I really would like to see your snake back on the road.

Regarding the snake, I have been slogging along, slowly, but steadily.
I've posted snippits of progress/questions/etc.  to the local Shelby
club list, but the list admin is touchy about cross posting, so I've
left it go at that.

My plan was to get on the road by spring, but I didn't quite make it.
But I'm actually pretty close.

To give you a run down.

Disassembly included:

   removal of the beater Fairlane motor- that's long gone as a parts
   donor to a friend's project

   the removal of the entire running gear-  transmission, differential,
   suspension, steering rack, and so on.

   the removal of nearly every interior panel

   a lota other stuff

So far reassembly has included:

  lots of painting of interior parts- the body is still bare metal,
  though

  rebuild of the original HiPo motor

  rebuild of the entire suspension, including replacing some very hard
  to come by parts.

  re-cored radiator

  new seals in the diff

  rebuild of the transmission

  rebuild of the steering rack; new steering shaft U-joints

  replacement of nearly every bolt in above assemblies

  where possible, replaced pop-rivets with stainless steel machine screws

  installed a new gas tank

  replaced hard hydraulic lines with stainless lines

  replaced older SS braided SS Teflon flex lines with new, shorter
  SS/Teflon lines

  installed an electric fuel pump and plumbed with Earl's SS braided
  lines

  all non cockpit area panels reinstalled

  alota other stuff

What's left to get back on road:

  finish wiring up the electric pump

  install motor

  install cockpit panels

  install seats

  finish wiring up radiator fan thermostat and relay

  install new coolant hoses

  put some gas in the new tank and hope it doesn't leak!

  not alota other stuff, I hope

I'm planning to have the motor in by the end of this month or the
beginning of next month.  Hoping to drive it to Palo Alto this year too.

Roland