Re: TR7 BFH#53 - Emission and Cold Engine?

To: Eganb@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: TR7 BFH#53 - Emission and Cold Engine?
From: DEVierling@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 22:31:33 EST
Yes, you should test both the temperature gauge sender and probably the
thermostat too.  I like to use a pot of water and a candy or meat
thermometer.  I have also used a cooking thermometer against the outside of
my MGB radiator hoses to check engine temperature.  For some reason I just
don't trust that 22 year old gauge!

Air in the radiator could account for two of your symptoms: No temp gauge
reading and no heat from the core. If the cooling system is "air bound" you
might need to consult the manual to see if there is a proper bleeding
procedure.  There is also an old trick of using some aspirin to hold the
thermostat open while refilling the radiator.  This lets coolant in and air
out past the thermostat and then they dissolve when you get the motor running
(I've never tried this...).

Oh, and a rich mixture should make the engine run HOTTER, not colder.  But
you're going to lean it out and make sure it runs at the right temp (195?) so
you can pass inspection right?
Good luck!
don

In a message dated 2/5/01 8:56:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, Eganb@aol.com
writes:

> Subj:  TR7 BFH#53 - Emission and Cold Engine?
>  Date:    2/5/01 8:56:02 PM Eastern Standard Time
>  From:    Eganb@aol.com
>  Sender:  owner-british-cars@autox.team.net
>  To:  Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.
> mit.edu
>
>  One more question that's maybe related to my emissions problem.  Ever
> since I
>  put my engine back together, the temp gauge never goes much above the
second

>  mark on the left, up from stone cold.  It never reaches the middle of the
>  gauge, which is where I would expect it to be when the engine is warmed
up.

>  So, it would appear that the engine is always running cold -- which I
would
>  consider quite unlikely giving the reputation that these engines have for
>  running hot.
>
>  I "tested" the temp gauge by grounding out the sensor wire, and the gauge
>  swung all the way to the right.  I also replaced the temp sensor unit, and
>  have the standard 195 degree thermostat, and it is the right one for the
TR7,

>  ie it has the correct design, and isn't a generic thermostat from
K-Mart....