TR7 BFH#53 - Emission and Cold Engine?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: TR7 BFH#53 - Emission and Cold Engine?
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:51:28 EST
One more question that's maybe related to my emissions problem.  Ever since I
put my engine back together, the temp gauge never goes much above the second
mark on the left, up from stone cold.  It never reaches the middle of the
gauge, which is where I would expect it to be when the engine is warmed up.

So, it would appear that the engine is always running cold -- which I would
consider quite unlikely giving the reputation that these engines have for
running hot.

I "tested" the temp gauge by grounding out the sensor wire, and the gauge
swung all the way to the right.  I also replaced the temp sensor unit, and
have the standard 195 degree thermostat, and it is the right one for the TR7,
ie it has the correct design, and isn't a generic thermostat from K-Mart....

So, again my thoughts on what to do.

1.  Boil a pot of water and stick the temp sensor in it and see how far the
gauge goes.

2.  Consider possible air bubble in thermostat housing, causing temp sensor
not to be immersed in antifreeze -- my housing does not have the typical plug
at the top for filling -- it's solid at the top, so air could get trapped in
there.

3.  Consider that I hooked up water hoses backwards -- Hey, I'm grasping at
straws here!...  The only hoses I could have conceivably done that with are
the heater hoses behind the engine, and I really don't think I mixed them up.
 On the other hand, I can't get any heat out of the heater -- I assume that
was a problem with the heater controls that I haven't tried to figure out
yet.

4.  Consider the possibility that the engine runs cold?....

5.  If it's running way too rich, could that cause it to run that much colder?

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC