RE: British Cars Digest #1461 Fri Nov 25 01:15:00 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #1461 Fri Nov 25 01:15:00 MST 1994
From: "ALFIE::MRGATE::\"A1::FELTS1\""@id1.atc.alcoa.com
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 11:30:56 -0500 (EST)
From:   NAME: Tom L. Felts
        FUNC: SFTY (38)
        TEL: 412-337-2024                     <FELTS1@A1@ALFIE>
To:     NAME: VMSMail User SMTP%"british-car
<SMTP%"british-cars@autox.team.net"@MRGATE>

>From Tom Felts
To  Peter Schauss
Re:  AH Trans. Removal

Having pulled the trans. on my 65 BJ8 3 times, I may have some insight to
help you.

The only pressure on the oil pan you will need is just enough to ease the
engine up slightly----this can be done with small jack but place a piece of
wood over the jack up point.  You will find you can lift the entire engine
up without bending the pan, but of course you won't need to.  BTW, this is
how I change motor mounts.

You will also find you will need to jack up or down several times as you
start to remove the trans as the first motion shaft may tend to bind as
you try to move the trans aft.

A word of caution!  Have the car "solidly" on jack stands such that if you
lift too hard on the engine you don't take the weight off them and cause
the car to roll---with you under it!  In the heat of emotion while lying on
your back- you sometimes don't know your own strength.

Good luck----BTW, I enjoyed the Keith Wheeler article about the tradition
of the old sports cars----vs the glitter of todays stuff.  The young guy's
like him will "keep em on the road"

Tom