LBCs-n-B&Bs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: LBCs-n-B&Bs
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 09:32:01 +0500
Fellow fiends:

Even though I'm not convinced you could actually support yourself on it, my
wife has for a long time wondered about opening a B&B, a dream representing
a "let's get away from it all" sort of future.  We'd have one up near
Traverse Bay in Michigan.  I had spent some time thinking of ways to include
LBCs in the whole thing (the Traverse area is chock full of great lbc roads,
and is one of the most scenic areas in Michigan).  I hadn't thought of the
racing/autocros camp idea (sounds rather complicated and expensive to me),
but I had thought of offering a scenic drive in an LBC, sort of a "there and
back" tour of the area (meaning reasonably local historical/natural points
of interest).  I think I could interest more than just LBC owners with such
a "tour," but also people looking for something a bit out of the way and
different (as most B&B patrons probably are, already).

I'd have the following stable:  a Morgan +4 four passenger for the young or
young-at-heart, a Jag MkII for the not so young-at-heart but the
none-the-less-willing, and maybe a few two passenger cars (*not* for driving
by guests, but for viewing in "the barn" and my own enjoyment (to finish off
my ideal lbc collection).  A man's gotta eat, after all.  I'd keep the cars
in running condition, but guests wouldn't be permitted to drive them.

Of course, I'd also offer modest services to LBC-borne travelers (garage
space, tools, parts runs (as suggested)).  Just think of it: it might even
become the annual roadtrip/get-a-way for all the local lbc clubs.  Make a
little money, add an English style pub...  live happy.

The cool thing is that we could all do this and we wouldn't be in
competition with each other.   In fact, we'd form a network of such B&Bs and
probably eventually maybe even get written up in some Conde Nast travel
magazine (you know, the ones that always seem to have photos of deeply
tanned women in bikinis on the covers).

Will "just livin' in the tall cotten" Zehring