Re: Air Conditioning in a MGB

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning in a MGB
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 18:27:44 -0500 (EST)

> On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, Donald Williams wrote:
> >
> > The other day I sighted a 1979 MGB roadster in a junk yard near my house.
> > thinking that perhaps it had some salvagable parts, I went over to take a
> > look at it.  To my suprise the car was fitted with an after-market air
> > conditioning unit.  The unit seems to be complete except for the parts that
> > should be under the hood (cooling radiator, & air pump).  Has anyone else
> > seen one of these units before?  Where may I get repair & replacement parts
> > from?  (JC Whitney maybe??????)

There was a "factory" (dealer installed) A/C system available for the later
cars. You should be able to find most hard parts by measuring and combing
through your local A/C jobbers generic parts book. For instance, the
compresser is a standard York; used by lots of cars of the era. The thing
looks like a stripped Briggs and Stratton engine, and is about as efficient.
You'll probably be sol on the rinkydink molded plastic fairings, ducts, and
such.

> As I understand it, some systems are updatable with little to moderate
> reworking; others may not be compatible at all without major substitution
> of new, compatible components. As always, YMMV.
>
> Andy Mace

I've been to lots of schooling and lectures on the new A/C laws, parts,
and conversions. Several companies claim that it is not at all difficult
to convert an old car to use R134a. I got into a rather interesting
discussion/misunderstanding with one speaker. The problem was a matter
of prespective. My idea of an old car, the type I would be looking at
converting, was a 74 XJ6, or maybe my 81 (new, really) Lancia. His idea
of an *old* car was a 91 Chevy.

Bottom line. When the R12 supply dries up, we're going to be in trouble.

   Randy