Re: Air Conditioning in a MGB

To: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning in a MGB
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 11:53:19 PST

On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, Donald Williams wrote:

> The other day I sighted a 1979 MGB roadster in a junk yard near my house.
> thinking that perhaps it had some salvagable parts, I went over to take a
> look at it.  To my suprise the car was fitted with an after-market air
> conditioning unit.  The unit seems to be complete except for the parts that
> should be under the hood (cooling radiator, & air pump).  Has anyone else
> seen one of these units before?  Where may I get repair & replacement parts
> from?  (JC Whitney maybe??????)

This was not unheard of on various Triumphs as well, even Heralds and
Sports 6s sold in the warmer climes. The question in my mind is whether
what remains has any real value, what with the upcoming ban on Freon
(CFC-12?) in air conditioning systems in cars. The fact that the
compressor might not matter, depending on whether the one originally used
could have been modified to accept the new refrigerant now being phased in.

As I understand it, some systems are updatable with little to moderate
reworking; others may not be compatible at all without major substitution
of new, compatible components. As always, YMMV.

Andy Mace