Re: Geo

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (SOL)
Subject: Re: Geo
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 94 10:45:53 CST
> > > By the way, I saw something called a Geo Storm on the A14 (nee A45) this
> > > morning - a rather neat looking two-door with a GM aspect. Anyone know
>what
> > > this might be? Being near Mildenhall, we get quite a lot of 'merkin
>traffic.
> >
> > It's a rebadged Isuzu Impulse.
>
> It's my understanding that Geo is a joint venture between Toyota and
> GM.  The cars are built in a plant here in the south San Francisco Bay
> area.  Is there an Isuzu connection too?

Geo is a name that covers a myriad of brands:

        Geo Metro = Suzuki Swift
            Storm = Isuzu Impulse
            Prizm = Toyota Corolla
            Tracker = Suzuki Samurai

The Isuzu I-mark was sold as a Geo model a few years back, but I can't
remember the name; neither the I-mark nor its Geo counterpart are sold
in the U.S. anymore.

GM is in bed with Isuzu in other ventures, too.  Many if not all Isuzu
vehicles sold in the U.S. have GM components; my '91 Trooper has a GM
2.8L V-6 and tranny.

I've also heard, but can't confirm, that Isuzu P'ups won't be sold in
the U.S. anymore.  Instead, your Isuzu dealer will offer rebadged
GM/Chevy S-series pickups (a la Ford/Mazda).
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA