Re: Amco or Robbins top?

To: rex@dem.ehnr.state.nc.us (Rex Minneman)
Subject: Re: Amco or Robbins top?
From: Louis-Charles Lavallee <lcl@io.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 09:37:33 -0500 (EST)
Rex Minneman wrote:

> I have a '74 MGB that's in need of a new top before winter weather gets here.
>
> It appears that Amco and Robbins make the most popular tops.  Are there any
> real differences between these two tops--i.e., which is the better top?  Are
> there any other tops in this price range that are better?

We faced the same question when we replaced the top on our TR7 two years
ago. After investigation, we selected the Amco top mainly because of a
modification they made for TR7s. They have added a pointed part at the
front corners that eliminate water leaks in that area. We also like the
inside of the top better which is vinyl coated. The fit is very good, and
installation was relatively easy. It may be a good idea to stock up on a
good selection of rivets (if they are used on MGs). The top comes with the
necessary hardware, but sometimes the LBC sample being worked on may require
longer rivets for some areas.

I would not hesitate to buy the same top again. However, it may be a good
idea to see if any of the manufacturers have "improved" the original design
before making a final selection.

Louis-Charles