[To: british-cars: Distributor recurve]

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: [To: british-cars: Distributor recurve]
From: Eric Bankit (PPD) <ebankit@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 94 9:44:27 EST
----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Wed, 16 Nov 94 10:31:33 EST
From:     Eric Bankit (PPD)  <ebankit@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
To:       british-cars@autox.team.net
cc:       ebankit@PICA.ARMY.MIL
Subject:  Distributor recurve

Gentlefolk,
  please a little clarification/help--I have been experiencing a drop in the
max revs in my Spitfire IV-can only get up to 5,200 then it just flattens out.
The engine has some mods in that it is .040 overbored, sports a custom intake
with quad mikuni carbs, has the custom header -- a friend, in casual evaluation
of the problem, said "gee, maybe the old dizzy needs to be recurved". Of course,
at that point he also said "well, gotta run-hope you solve the problem".
The quad mikunis/intake have resulted in the vacuum advance being blanked which
appears to be the basis for his statement---my question is what does a recurve
mean, how does one do this and collectively what does the group think the
problem could be?
  Engine is set at 6 degrees BTDC
  Compression is 140 across all cylinders
  Plugs are Champion N9Y's
Car gets to 5,200 in one heck of a hurry (used in autocross and usually lets
me drive it well enough to place 2nd consistently).
Thanks,
Eric Bankit

   Help is especially appreciated in that I just bought my new bride a Spit 1500
to drive as a gad-about-at the first autocross that she had ever been in she
came home with the trophy in her car with street tires...course was a long
open configuration-her 1500 went up to 6K without a fuss while I had to shift
to stay in any thing resembling a power band.  (sour grapes???)

----- End of forwarded messages