Mega embarrassment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Mega embarrassment
From: Paul Rodenhuis <paulr@pwd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 09:56:21 +1100
Well the old Zephyr really did it this morning!  On my weekly
drive into the city, I suffered the fuel problem that I'd
experienced and written about before.  First symptom was a slight
hiccup on acceleration.  Next was severe lack of power and
ultimate expiring on the freeway approaching the bridge -
I pulled to the side (verge for pommies), and eventually enough
fuel came through to proceed.  It was mainly downhill from there
so the load and fuel demand was light.

Coming up to the bridge (all this in peak hour traffic already
made worse by the wet conditions) it was getting more hesitant,
until finally expired again, right in the middle. Oh BTW, this
li'l ol' bridge is the Sydney Harbour Bridge!  The Coathanger.
x*10^3 vehicles/hour.

I am in the middle lane with cars banked behind me, streaming
around me ... yet, (get this Yanks) - not one horn blaast!.
I reconnected the electric pump ( I had got tired of its
constant clicking) and it rattled furiously but got enough
through for me to continue my journey to the car park.

I've had to clear the pickup a few times now.  I have been too
fearful (lazy) to pull the fuel tank out and see what can be done
to fix it, at least shake the sh*t out of it.

With a race meeting this weekend at Goulburn, about 3hrs drive
from Sydney, I'll have to do something quick, even if its just
to get home again.

paulr
Mk II Zephyr