Re: my .02 on towing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: my .02 on towing
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 14:24:17 -0800
Daren suggests to balance the trailer...
>Once the tongue is "free" from the hitch, CAREFULLY(* see
>below) adjust the position of the load on the trailer until the scale
>reads what you have calculated the tongue weight should be, minus the
>weight of the scissor jack. This is where you want to mark your load's
>position. Just so that the error was in my favor, I marked a point
>slightly forward of this, and now worry not when I pull Redcar up.
>
>    cheers-
>            daren
>

>* I kept the front lash attached to the car, s l o w l y letting it out
>and allowing the car roll backwards.

It wouldn't hurt to use a wheel block at or before the balance point *just
in case*!!  I'd sure hate to see my car go rolling off the trailer and down
the road if the lash failed for some reason.  sf

Stan Fickes                    British Cars
Advanced Technology Group      1951 MGTD (under construction)
Apple Computer, Inc.           1965 Austin-Healey Sprite (daily driver)
408 974-7653