Lotus Esprit Query

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lotus Esprit Query
From: JBratek@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 18:11:50 -0500
For a long time I have kicked around the idea about buying a 1988 Lotus
Esprit or a 1989 Lotus Esprit SE. I drove the '89 SE when it was new that
year and it was a pleasure to drive. However, I have heard about those cars
having unreliable engines (one example needed a rebuild at 30,000 miles). Are
there any owners of the above-mentioned Esprits on this list that could
comment on their maintenance experiences? I would be looking to purchase an
Esprit as my daily driver (not as a weekend toy) so reliability is important
to me. I know insurance has been a concern as well. I don't know what State
Farm charges, but I do know about the Lotus Club of America offering low-rate
insurance through a special provider. I live in NJ within 15 miles of New
York City so insurance is high here anyway.

Thanks for any helpful responses.