Re: Trailers/towing

To: Tim Dziechowski <timd@hitu.enet.dec.com>
Subject: Re: Trailers/towing
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 17:18:48 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 16 Nov 1994, Tim Dziechowski wrote:

> Thanks Ray, for the excellant info on towing.  I just got a class 3
> receiver put on my pickup this morning, so this was really timely.
>
> I have a question for the list about trailering LBC's, especially
> long hauls.  I know a lot of you go some distance to shows and races.
> What would you look for in a trailer for LBCs?  Are trailer brakes
> essential?

I think brakes are well worth the expense.  They may be required by law.
The electric types are really not very complicated or expensive.  After
one close call, saving money had a much lower priority for me.

> Are aluminum trailers worth the extra cost?

The less the trailer weighs, the less the whole rig weighs for a given
load.  I just bought an aluminum utility trailer; I like the low
maintenance aspect and the low weight.  But I don't know how prices
compare for steel and aluminum car trailers.

> Dual axle needed, or is single axle enough?

I don't know what kind of car you have.  I have towed a Bugeye on a good
single axle trailer for a short distance, and it seemed fine.  A friend
hauled his racing bugeye all over on one, with no problems.  If the
trailer is rated for the load you intend to carry with a single axle, the
second axle may be needless weight and expense.  If you want to haul big
cars, you may need the double axle to get adequate capacity.  I would
prefer a trailer that is just right for your car, and not a bit too big.
It limits your flexibility, but consider this:  if you own a big heavy
brute of a trailer that can carry anything, people will want to borrow it.
And when they see how big it is, they are going to want to borrow your
truck to pull it with.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910