Re: Trailers/towing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trailers/towing
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 15:04:43 MST
Fellow tow artists,

I was the driver of the tow vehicle of the Daimler adventure.  In
regards to Ray's article...  excellent advice.  All of it.  Especially
the part about the wheel base on the tow vehicle.  This will really
help more than anything IMHO.  It's what our tow vehicle has the least
of, wheelbase.

The daimler and trailer probably weighed in around 4000 lbs.  Needless
to say this outweighed the tow vehicle, a jeep wranger.  I assume you
all thought we towed the car with a cherokee as this was never said.

The reason we decided to do this tow was, well, there was no AAA
involved, and towing on a flatbed would have been around $100 to the
place of rest.  Sooooo, we decided to go for it.  After all, we towed
a 5x8 foot covered trailer (LOADED) with the jeep from maryland to
colorado.  And that's uphill the whole way!  :-)

Anyway, for occasional short distance towing, the wranger will do the
job.  One just has to remember that this has many limitations.  The
main one is speed.  I would not want to tow that much weight again, I
can assure you.  But in a pinch, I'd probably do it.  That's what we
were in, a pinch.

Having said all of that, the right tools for the right job, is the
best thing everytime.  That's why I own a torque wrench!

TTFN,

-Scotty "Don't follow me so close" Paisley