Crankshaft Surface Treatments

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Crankshaft Surface Treatments
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 10:33:37 -0500 (EST)
I ran across a very specific recommendation that Stag cranks should be
'Tuftrided' after grinding.  Since this is from the SOC (Stag Owner's
Club) newsletter, 'tuftriding' of course is a Brit term.  Does anyone
know what this is in American?  Is the process available here? Is it
nitriding?

Since I plan to put my Stag engine together over the winter (yeah, yeah,
I've said that before, but this time I really mean it :-), it would
be nice to know what to ask the shop for since I'm going to have to
get the crank ground.
--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu     (Michigan)