MGB Electrical Problems (ooh boy!)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Electrical Problems (ooh boy!)
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 07:02:39 +0000
Well, I had an adventure or 6 this weekend...  I had been working for
weeks on the 73 B to get it ready for the first event in a series of 4
(autocross).

1) The mechanical advance froze up, causing nasty problems
2) I thought it was the carbs, and got them all out of whack
3) Found the distributor problem, and unfroze it.
4) At that point, set the advance way too far ahead.
5) Drove for 30 miles with constant pinging, in traffic, with the choke
   all the way out to get >some< performance
6) Got to the track... retarded timing, returned carbs to baseline,
   replaced spark plugs, replaced coil.  Things work!
7) Drove to staging area, turned off engine, went to get helmet for "tune
   and test" practice Car won't start!!!  Have to push it off into the
   grass...
8) The next day... race day... have to use the Mazda (which means I
   have to use the Mazda for the other 3 events as well).  Last place
   in class (of course). MG has no spark.
9) Fellow club member with both multimeter AND brains traces down the
   problem... corroded connector on Pirhana module.
10)Drive home 50 miles.  Car runs better than has in weeks.
11)Next day, alternator light comes on and stays on.

Those who have read this far.... what up wid dat (11)?  Have I fried the
regulator?  Do I have to replace the alternator to get a new regulator?

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"1st Law of OleoHydroDynamics - Little British Cars Leak. - JMT"