Re: Moving advice

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Moving advice
From: pismobch@netcom.com (ed devinney)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 11:08:21 -0800
P_Jeffrey_Perine.Roch817@xerox.com writes:

<moving to Bay Area, has a partially-done keeper MGA and a running,
ready-to-restore MGAas well>

> Choices; 1. Sell, losing most labor invested thus far.  2. Transport
> to CA 3. Put in deep storage in Rochester for potential completion of
> restoration at future date.
[...]
> would need to spend $1500 to buy a trailer [...] and pay for storage until I
> find some garage space.

You need to ask yourself some questions: How long do you intend to stay in
CA?  Where do you intend to live?  How much are these cars really worth to
you?

If you're going for the long haul, take one or more with you, and sell the
runner to finance the move & restoration.  If not, store the one under
construction and sell the other to finance storage.  In my experience,
finding a place in the Bay Area that'll be suitable for car work mean
renting a house, which isn't cheap.  You could probably find a storage
place that'll allow work, but that's not inexpensive, either.

I did a stint there with the expectation that I wouldn't settle down
(indeed, 2.5 years later I'm back East), so I mothballed the
'cuda-from-hell for the duration. YMMV, but it worked for me.

ed 'currently unpacking little plastic bags of things that I dimly recall
went somewhere on the car' devinney

PS - nota bene: magic marker fades after a few years - use a permanent
marker on your baggies..

ed devinney
pismobch@netcom.com                             pismobch@aol.com
                        TIA is my friend