Type LH Overdrive for MGB

To: british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Type LH Overdrive for MGB
From: grohoski@futserv.austin.ibm.com (Greg Grohoski)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 08:56:26 -0600
I recently ordered a rebuilt type LH O/D unit
from England for my 1973 MGB.  In trying to fit
the unit to the rear of my O/D transmission, I
discovered that there are 2 splined components
of the O/D unit.  The splines on these 2
components (I think they are the planet carrier
and the unidirectional clutch, I can't tell
from the exploded parts diagram in the Bentley
manual) need to be aligned with each other in
order for the 3rd motion shaft of the transmission
to engage into the O/D.

The splines are not aligned in the O/D.  Before
I ship this back to England, is there any way
to align these splines (preferably without
disassembling the O/D)?  Have any of you
encountered this before?

Thanks,

greg

p.s. please reply by private email to