Re: Brian's on a Jaguar kick

To: BAWILL01@UKCC.UKY.EDU (Brian Willoughby)
Subject: Re: Brian's on a Jaguar kick
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 12:10:22 -0700 (MST)
Brian shouts:
{Hey guys!  Well, I've done it again.  I've only just finished reading all
{the postings from my fellow SOL junkies concerning the 420G and now I have
{another Coventry Cat to ask about.  Actually, it's a Daimler 2.5 Litre Saloon.
{Anybody know anything about these?

I know a little about Daimlers....

Download the file hoosier.cs.utah.edu:/pub/sol/Jaguar.Saloons.txt from
the british-cars anonymous FTP archives.  It has an overview of various
Jag sedans of that era and the answers to some questions I posted before
I bought my '66 Daimler 2.5 Litre Saloon three years ago.  I didn't
check mine closely enough for rust when I bought it and, rather than
sinking thousand$ into it to fix the sills and floors, I ended up
selling it last summer and buying a newer Daimler XJ6.  There's a couple
pictures of my old Daimler 2.5 Litre Saloon on the archive in the
Images/ directory called: buja_daimler_1.gif & buja_daimler_2.gif

That's the bottom line: Check carefully for rust. Take it to a mechanic,
get it up on a lift and check for rust/damage.  Also check the
compression, trans and brakes.  See the file checklist.ascii.Z if you
really want to check it thoroughly.  Rust repair on these cars is a
MAJOR job, even the replacement sills available thru Martin Robey in the
UK are not precisely correct.

The body curves are wonderful and the 2.5L V8 is cool, making great
noises getting that ponderous body up to speed (Ring Down for MORE
Power!!!).  But the V8 sloooow, just a tad faster than the 2.4L Jag MkII's:

                 Jaguar MKI and MKII Saloon Performance
                 --------------------------------------
            MkII     MkI     Daimler   240      MkII     MkI      340
MkII
            2.4L     2.4L     2.5L     2.4L     3.4L     3.4L     3.4L
3.8L
             |        |        |        |        |        |        |         |
0-30mph     5.7s     4.6s     4.6s     4.1s     4.5s     3.6s     3.5s
3.2s
0-60mph    17.3s    14.4s    13.2s    12.5s    11.9s    10.0s     8.8s
8.3s
0-90mph    49.9s    39.1s    31.2s    31.0s    26.0s    22.1s    19.6s
18.2s
1/4mile    20.8s    24.6s   ~19. s    18.7s    19.1s    17.9s    17.2s
16.3s
max mph    96.3    101.5    112.0    106.0    119.9    119.8    124.0     126.0

And, personally, I always preferred the conformal Jag MkII grill over
the bulky Daimler grill.  Engine parts might be a problem (I never
needed to order any) and you are also stuck with a 3-speed slush-box.
Check out the current issue of Jaguar World, there's always advertisers
like David Manners with old V8 parts.  There's a North American
Lancaster/Daimler club, but I don't know the address.

Order the book "Jaguar MkI and MkII: The Complete Companion" by Nigel
Thorley.  It has everything you need to know about these cars.

I hope you get it, they're cool cars.

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________