MG TD advice sought

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MG TD advice sought
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 94 08:25:14 EST
Fellow fiends:

Okay, here's another one in the "don't ask why" department.  My lurking
interest in owning an MG TD flared up recently and I went and took a look at
a 1950 for sale locally.  What I am wondering, bascially, is: to the extent
that I can describe it to you, is it a good example of the model and what
does the net consider a fair price for this car:

1950 MG TD (vin 28xx, engine 31xx, the xx being two digits I dont'
remember), supposedly a Florida car that spent some time elsewhere in the
souteast.  Current owner is car's third.  Car is in Detroit.

-recently repainted kelly green with new brown vinyl interior and canvas
top, car easilty passes the 10 foot test, scores well on the two foot test
too.  Seats and door pannels nicely done, carpet tatty and footwell
kickpannels missing, glass clear and good, Not a show piece, but very clean
in appearance

-solid appearing chassis rails and tub wood (I poked about a bit with a
flash light and a car key; wood really does seem ok on the bottom at least,
didn't check behind seats)  (can't say I inspected the entire rail)

-bright work slightly pitted but all in all very presentable with "original"
King of the road head lamps, window frame sort of dull now

-engine turns and runs, substantial fuel leak at forward float bowl,
otherwise engine compartment appears complete; no sense of how well the
car/tranny/brakes actually perform (it was raining and we didn't take it out
of the garage); appears to have a substantial valve cover gasget leak

-tool set (partially complete, at least; what is supposed to be there?) in
tool box besides jack and lug nut wrench?

-original wiring (or so it appears), didn't test electrics.  Starter motor
is strong, new battery

-disk wheels with reletively new wsw bias ply tires

-PO modifications: almost none, only one I saw was mounting of ameter gauge
where head light switches should be with the switch placed below dash, dash
is wood veneer, metal gauge surround badly worn,

-Gauges don't work, except possibly the oil preasure and ameter.  In fact
the tach is missing its pointer.  Gauge faces tatty, minor pitting rust.

-"original" side curtains, actually appear to be in very servicable condition.

Okay, so that's about all I know now.  In summary, the car appears pretty
solid, and very close to being a driver, as is (as best as I have so far
determined).  Some minor cosmetic work in the interior and repairs to
gauges, carbs, and possibly to other hidden problems =:o.  Comments?  The
seller is asking $US 10,500 but appears ready to negotiate to some extent.
Is this a fair price?  Is there something else I should check before making
an offer?  What is happening to TD prices these days?  (Please: I'm not
asking that because I'm a speculator, I'd just like to know if this is a
good time to buy or if prices might be lower and I might find an equal or
better car later).  Keeping in mind that you aren't here to look at the car
and can only read the above, what would you offer?

AM I CRAZY?

Will "yes, you're crazy" Zehring