Re: More TD advice sought

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: More TD advice sought
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 10:47:52 PST
Keeping in mind that I am (as Dan Parslow describes me) a "Heraldmaniac"
and general die-hard Triumph fan, nonetheless the TD is one of my
all-time favorite cars. I had many, many miles of enjoyment with borrowed
TDs during the 1970s, most of them thanks to a former (now late)
Congressman and his nicely "patina-ed" TD. To respond to some of your
advisors' no-doubt well-intended advice and your own feelings:

> question in my mind, the TC, TD and TF are *lovely* cars!  Local advisors of

No question here, either; they truly are!

> mine suggest, however, that I will be heartily disappointed in the car as a
> driver, that it is bogg slow, has bad brakes, no weather protection, is
> totally unsuited to modern highways and cruising speeds, and in general, has
> the ride of a sitdown lawnmower (i.e. *rather* stiff).  They say parts
> availability is very difficult and heaven forbid you need major engine or
> tranny work.  These advisors suggest I look at Morgans, cars with similar
> cosmetic appeal, fewer mechanical shortcomings, and more ready parts
> availability (Triumph parts, in the case of the Plus Four).

Nonsense! How slow is slow? I always thought that well-adjusted brakes
were fine for the car, remembering that the best brakes are only as good
as the tires on the car. Yes, it's a bit buzzy at highway speeds, but
Interstate cruising is not why you'd buy a car such as this. Weather
protection is as good as the top and curtains fit and as good as the
gasket on the bottom of the windscreen. And, like most LBCs of that
vintage, the ride is firm and not totally suited to bumpy dirt roads, but
it's quite acceptable with a suspension in good shape and lever shocks
with oil in them!

Some mechanical parts are expensive, some VERY expensive. But I think
availablility is probably better than it was 10-20 years ago. Chip Old,
I'm sure, can give you better info here. Again, though, cared for well,
they're just fine.

The car I enjoyed so much back in the 1970s took me on at least two 400
mile round trips without incident. It also survived years of high school
and college use by the son of its owner, and many other drivers. It
survives to this day, although in storage.

> So, TD owners: is this true?  Does the charm of the car outweigh its defects?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! In fairness, though, the price you quoted
sounds a bit high to me for what sounds like a somewhat unoriginal car.
Others may know better on such subjects, though.

Don't expect it to behave like a 1995-anything, and you'll be happy!
Enjoy it for its charm, that inimitable exhaust note, those chrome Mickey
Mouse ears of headlight pods facing you as you sit in the driver's seat,
the peculiar action of chronometric speedo and tach needles, and for the
fact that, unlike so many of their current owners, you're owning this car
because you like to drive it, not because you'd like to round out
your portfolio with solid investments!

Andy Mace, thinking "I ought to call up Mark and see if he wants to get
Ned's old TD running again...."