More TD advice sought

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More TD advice sought
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 94 09:53:14 EST
Fellow fiends:

Keeping on the theme of this 1950 TD I saw yesterday, can I ask a few less
tangible questions now?

My interest in this car is based priarily upon its style and its place in MG
history, having had very little experience as an operator of the model.  No
question in my mind, the TC, TD and TF are *lovely* cars!  Local advisors of
mine suggest, however, that I will be heartily disappointed in the car as a
driver, that it is bogg slow, has bad brakes, no weather protection, is
totally unsuited to modern highways and cruising speeds, and in general, has
the ride of a sitdown lawnmower (i.e. *rather* stiff).  They say parts
availability is very difficult and heaven forbid you need major engine or
tranny work.  These advisors suggest I look at Morgans, cars with similar
cosmetic appeal, fewer mechanical shortcomings, and more ready parts
availability (Triumph parts, in the case of the Plus Four).

So, TD owners: is this true?  Does the charm of the car outweigh its defects?

I genuinely do not mean to be rude to T-car owners here at all (even though
it looks like it).  I don't want to start a flame war either.  I am very
much interested in T-car owner's frank comments on the car.  I am not
interested in getting something and admiring it in my garage; I want to
drive it.  Of course, I need to drive this car before I seriously consider
buying it, but even a test drive may not reveal fully its real character.  I
fully recognize the subjective nature of this inquiry, but I am interested
to hear what people say.

I leave you with the following (perhaps pertinent to my state of mind):

Yesterday I as I went up the stair
I saw a man who wasn't there
I didn't see him again today
I wish to God he'd go away!