Re: Jensen Healey Advice

To: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jensen Healey Advice
From: Tim Pettenati <pettenat@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 1994 16:36:09 -0800 (PST)
>From: Anthony Case <easu816@ea.oac.uci.edu>
> So, I need advice. All the standard stuff. Whats the
>best year, What should I beware of, where do they rust, whats a fair
>price etc. I am partial to the earlier ones with the smaller bumpers, but
>if the later ones are better,I would certainly consider them also. Thanks
>in advance.

Best Year - Probably 74 if you want a 4 speed or 75 if you want a 5 speed.
The 74 1/2 is when the 5 speed appeared, along with the big bumpers.

Beware of - Rust under the rubber floor mats or just in front of the rear
wheels. Also insist on a compression check befor buying - unless you are
ready to take on a valve job.

The early 73s have a somewhat of a bad reputation, since the rear main seal
is of the rope type. later models use a modern rubber seal. I have a 73, mine
leaks and has for probably about 10 years, it isn't bad enough that
willing to take anything apart to fix it.
Price in the US for an average condition running example is about
$2500 - $5000, best deal around for a Lotus powered sportscar.  ;^)

                                             pettenat@netcom.com