Re: Bubble Flare

To: P_Jeffrey_Perine.Roch817@xerox.com
Subject: Re: Bubble Flare
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 94 11:23:22 PST

>  I have been making bubble flares with the  cheap tool  described.  I have not
> been ``hardening`` them with the method Greg suggested (no accces to acetelene
> torch)  Do you feel this is a critical step.  The flares seem strong although
> some shaping wth a fine file makes me feel better about the sealing surface.
> Should I seek out a torch.
> Jeff

I think Greg heated the pipe to soften it; not to harden it; although
the result after cooling might be increased hardness.

I've also had double flare die break on me so pre heating might not
be a bad idea.  Now if I just had a gas welder.

BTW, the flaring tool I was referring to was for 37 1/2 degree AN
type flares.  These tools are NOT cheap; at least not dollarwise.

Roland