Re: British Car Mailing List

To: anikulicz@attmail.com
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 1994 21:47:19 -0700
You are now on the British cars mailing list digest, aka Scions of Lucas (SOL)
Send your mail to

    british-cars@autox.team.net

Send address changes and such to

    british-cars-request@autox.team.net

When you send a request to the british-cars-request@autox.team.net address,
it may take days, maybe even a week before I get around to reading it and
actually acting upon it.  I'm not getting paid to do this, and other things
may be more pressing than your British car mail.  So be patient, I will
eventually get to it.  Unless, of course, you keep sending messages every
day asking for something, in which case I will get annoyed and ignore you
altogether.

The digest is sent out once each night, on occasion an extra one is sent out
by hand if the length is getting too long, as some recipients have a 40,000
character limit on their mail.

The postings to this list are intended only for those on this list.  Any
reproduction by any means without the express consent of the author is not
only rude and stupid, but prohibited.

Some things to note:
--------------------

This is a noisy group, with about 400 to 500 messages per month, and about
a megabyte of characters.  Think before posting something that doesn't
really apply.

  Mail for the list gets sent to hundreds of people, traveling through many
hundreds, if not a thousand or more, computers.  This may take days to
actually occur, as some sites still use once a day polling to transmit mail.

Given the current state of technology it is not improbable that one of those
links will exhibit some sort of problem.  When you post a message, you may get
back error messages.  This DOES NOT mean you need to resend it.  What it does
mean is that everybody got it except for maybe one or two folks.  Don't repost
things unless you are absolutely, positively sure it did not reach anyone on
the list.

Remember that not everyone has the latest and greatest technology at
their fingertips.  Keep your text limited to lines less than 80 characters
long.  Don't think that just because you have all sorts of neat display stuff
and whizbang text tools that everyone else does.  Use simple ASCII text.

Try to keep the size of your submissions under control.  Feel free to write
on all sorts of British car related stuff, but don't get too far overboard,
elaborate only on the necessary points.  The same sort of guidelines apply to
technical postings.  This list generates a lot of traffic, and keeping the
volume down will keep folks happier.  If folks have to wade through pages
and pages of stuff they don't find interesting, they won't be happy with
you, or this list.  And we do want folks to enjoy themselves.  And avoid
long and usually less than funny signatures on the ends of your mail.
You shouldn't need a dozen lines to tell folks who you are.

Also, instead of sending three messages of one sentence each, try to send
one message with three sentences in it.  Same information content, it just
puts a little less load on the system.  And if you are replying to a message,
use discretion in how much of the original message you quote.  Forwarding a
complete message only to add a single sentence or two of your own doesn't
make you look too smart.  Folks will delete the message they think they've
already seen long before they get to your comments.  And speaking of trying
to look smart, read over your text at least once to catch the obvious editor
errors, spelling errors and such.

In general, enjoy this list, but do be nice to others.  While constructive
criticism is always welcome, particularly where safety is involved, please
don't waste our time with inflammatory or null-content postings.  Public
flames of other members are especially frowned upon.  If you have a problem
with something or someone, it is recommended that you discuss it privately.

mjb.

SOL:  Scions of Lucas
LBC:  Little British Convertible, Large British Cruiser, etc.

WWW access through http://triumph.cs.utah.edu/team.net.html

Anonymous FTP access through triumph.cs.utah.edu, login ftp, password
your.address@your.site