Big Healey Overdrive

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Big Healey Overdrive
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 94 14:46:26 EST
Hi Netters,

(Actually, my request is for help with the BorgWarner overdrive unit as
fitted to my Wolseley 6/110, but given the mechanical similarity of the
car to the Big Healey - much more plentiful - I thought I'd get more
response with this subject title).

How the system works:  The overdrive comes in automatically above a
certain speed in 3rd and 4th, and drops out at low speeds or when reverse
is engaged or when the accelerator is floored through a "kickdown" switch.

My problem is that the overdrive is reluctant to disengage - particularly
via the kickdown mechanism - but also when supposedly below the disengage
speed.  There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the speed sensing
governing switch as it changes into overdrive very easily.

Those who have cars with this system:  What is your experience?  When you
have had problems, what have they turned out to be?
I have gone through the rather dense description of the system in the
Haynes manual, but it has left me rather unenlightened.

Andrew
                   Bus Admin, U of Windsor, Windsor. Ont. CANADA   N9B 3P4
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca