Perfect Tow Vehicle: The Winner is...

To: british-cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Perfect Tow Vehicle: The Winner is...
From: Brian Willoughby <BAWILL01@UKCC.UKY.EDU>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 94 14:54:29 EST
Hello to everybody, again and thanks to all who responded to my querry
concerning the perfect tow vehicle.  I went out last night and thoroughly
looked at all of the truck lines from Detroit's Big Three.  In last place is
the Dodge.  I told the salesman what I wanted:  3/4 tonne, 5.9 litre Cummins
Turbodiesel with 4WD.  He came back with a figure of "at the very least
$30,000."  That vehicle is simply not worth it.  Second place belongs to GM
as represented by Chevy and GMC.  Again, I gave the same parameters as above
and was quoted a "neighbourhood of $28,000" price tag.  Too much, again.  Then
came my friends at the Blue Oval.  I can get a full one-tonne 4WD with the 7.3
litre turbodiesel for $26,000.  To get a one-tonner in the others, you have to
get that goofy dually rear axle with those ugly glass-fibre flares on the bed.

Needless to say, they are much, much more expensive than the Ford.  Consider
what their 3/4 tonnes cost!  I don't know how Ford offers so much more for the
money though they do.  The Ford's engine is also the biggest and produces the
most horsepower.  Only the Cummins produces more torque and it's only a
negligible 5 lb.-ft. more than the Ford.  And you ought to see how high this
thing  sits off the ground!  It's a delight for a short little guy like me.
Right now, I am feeling very guilty however.  I haven't had an American car
in ages and promised myself that every future car would be British or Swedish.
Why couldn't Ford start making these things at Dagenham instead of Kansas City?
Now all I have to do is finish school and start saving my money.  See you,
Brian Willoughby
bawill01@ukcc.uky.edu