One Man's (person's) Meat

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: One Man's (person's) Meat
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 94 14:21:25 EST
The old saying:  One man's meat is another's poison certainly applies to
Paul Garside's comment about the Triumph 1500 saloon modelled on the 2000
as being one of the "ugliest".
Personally, I always thought the little Triumph worked very well as a
mini-2000.  I almost bought one somewhere around 72 when they were still
plentiful, but at the last moment, was put off by reports of rather
dismal servicing of the complex FWD setup.  Not a bad car, but supported
by the worst of 70's BMC "servicing"   - not sure that anyone at Lexus
today would have allowed the term service to be used for the way they
treated cars and customers.  (Here I do agree with Paul!)

My own theory is that what has always made britcars worthwhile is there
charisma, and it was when they moved too far away from this (e.g. Marina,
or Austin 3litre) that they lost out.  It's just bearable to have a car
that goes wrong but is "special" when it runs, but to have a generic
no-name box that goes wrong .......

andrew templer

                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca