Garage Pit

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Garage Pit
From: desouza@garnet.berkeley.edu
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 94 10:38:57 PST
I am thinking  for a while about building a Pit in my garage... and was
wondering if any other SOLers have done that. I do not have the cash to
shell out 2K-3K for an elevator  and my  garage is too low to allow for
that anyways ...

I have used one of them when I was a slaved-child in  Brasil working in
a oil change depot at age 12, and as I remember it was quite the nicest
thing after the elevator (which only the boss was allowed to use) and a
hell a lot better than changing oil and doing some other minor  repairs
with a car on LOW standings.

I have bought the house 2 years ago and we are probably going  to  sell
it in 5 years (I don't think I'll ever get tenure at this place) and my
real state agent says that it is going to damage the  "image"    of the
house; that prospect buyers will wonder what is that  "jacuzzi"  in the
middle of the garage for and they will shy away from it.

I seen that Pratical Classics announces   (on the Classified section) a
quite nice one, made of fiberglass, with benchs, tool-holders and  well
placed lights, sold by MECH-MATE in England ...  has anyone seen one of
these up close ?

I do intend to build my own with cement by myself, in order to save money
but it would hurt to have the MECH-MATE's  mesurements and build on their
experience ...

Paulo Ney de Souza
desouza@garnet.berkeley.edu