Grade 8 hardware? Try Cat!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, M.I.N.I@supernet.ab.ca
Subject: Grade 8 hardware? Try Cat!
From: TVRVixen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 10:59:17 -0500
Someone on the Brit-cars list stated that Grade 8 hardware quality is not
very consistant.

>manufactured to a much higher standard than SAE grade 8 bolts.
>One can never be too sure about any SAE bolts
>(the standards are good, but adherance to them is poor).

If you are interested, a great source of high quality nut, bolts and lock
washers at reasonable prices is you local Caterpillar dealer.  They have a
catalog which list the sizes, threads, grip length, etc. and they should have
them all in stock.  The lock washers are really great.  Cat uses a minimum
Grade 8 bolt for everything, including holding on license plates.

I also really like their "Liquid Gasket Material". It is a redish brown
color.  Try a can while you are there.

Maybe I am biased, or just experienced?  I worked as a mechanic for a Cat
dealer for 7 years.

Don