Duct tape and Toledos

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Duct tape and Toledos
From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 94 12:14:07 GMT
      mike_israel@Merck.Com (Mike Israel) notes:

      >A while back there was a discussion of a super-strength tape similar
      >to duct  tape.  Apparently the stuff is common in the UK but not
      >readily available in  the U.S.

This is probably what we call tank tape. It is a bodger's delight, from the
country that invented bodging!

      Paul Rodenhuis <paulr@pwd.nsw.gov.au> wonders:

      >Subject: Triumph Toledo

      >The other day I saw one of these for the first time. The body shape
      >was very similar to my Mum's 20 yr old Dolomite (no, not the
      >Sprint!).  The grill was different tho'.

      >I guess its an import from somewhere, just wondering where.

To replace the Herald of recent cartoon fame, Triumph introduced the 1300,
an extremely ugly FWD car with styling based on the Michelotti 2000 saloon.
The styling didn't scale down well. Subsequently engine capacity was
increased to 1500 and a TC version was offered (the well-known Spitfire
engine) It didn't sell as well as the Herald. The body was face-lifted and
lightened up (in appearance, not in weight) and a RWD version was
introduced, using substantially the same bodyshell - this was the Dolomite
(slant-four 1850) and later Dolomite Sprint. Remember the RWD version
of the 1800 Land Crab - the Austin 3-litre? These RWD versions did sell
quite well, so Triumph introduced a RWD version of the 1500, and this is the
Triumph Toledo you saw. These RWD machines continued until the H**da-based
Acclaim saw out the Triumph marque some time in the 80's.

A particularly nasty period for the British motor industry!

Paul.