Re: Triumph Toledo and former Triumph works

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph Toledo and former Triumph works
From: Andy Ashworth <tcsaca@aie.lreg.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 94 11:06:58 GMT
On 3 Nov Paul Rodenhuis asked about the Toledo.

I think the Triumph Toledo is actually the same shape as the Dolomite, however
it is a bottom of the range variant and only came with a 1300cc engine.  I used
to own on a few years ago, just before I bought my Spitfire; it was a solid
car, i.e. built like a tank, with reasonable handling and bugger all
performance! (the power to weight ration was all weight - no power).

As for where it was imported from, since it was built alongside the Dolomite
at Coventry I can only assume that it was imported from the UK.

BTW, I was driving in Coventry the other week and happened to pass by the
Rover plant at Canley which used to be the Triumph factory.  One half of the
plant has now been demolished to make way for a supermarket and a Mc Donalds
the other half is still in use by Rover (for the moment) for the Electrical
Harness Design, Prototype Build, and Sales and Marketing functions.

Andy

Andy Ashworth
Lloyd's Register                        email:  tcsaca@uk.co.lreg.aie
29, Wellesley Road                      Phone:  +44 (0)181 681 4723
Croydon                                 Fax:    +44 (0)181 681 4839
CR0 2AJ