Re: lotus europa project

To: JWCHESLEY@aamc.org, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lotus europa project
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 94 23:45:52 -0800
JWCHESLEY@aamc.org writes:
>Ok, so I sold my last midget recently to finish up and make
>room for the '65 Alfa spider... no regrets, it was a good
>choice.... however.... while in the local parts store I noticed a
>3x5 card advertising a Lotus Europa II "needs much work,
>many spares included" for $500.  Now, a snazzy Lotus would
>look _really_  nice next to my neat old Alfa spider (unless my
>wife shot me first).. and I wouldn't have to deal with the
>tin-worm (sounds sooo much more genteel than the 'R' word).
>Someone talk me out of this (I love 3 foot high breadvans)
>and get me thinking clearly again (yellow is a great color on
>Lotii) so that I can save my sanity and my marriage(maybe I
<Remainder deleted>

Being single, I can't advise you on the marriage vs. Lotae tradeoffs.
Sorry.

However, I can tell you this:  I know where I can get a Europa S2 roller
(minus front clip) for $500.  If you can get a driver or near-driver for
that price, you have no other alternative!      ;^)

Bear in mind Fisher's axiom as applied to Lotus Europas though:  It'll
always cost you at least $7000.  (Meaning that if you get it for $500,
it'll take another $6500 to put it in reasonable shape.)  You might
consider subscribing to the Lotus-cars mailing list, if only
temporarily, to solicit other opinions.  Send mail to
lotus-cars-request@netcom.com and ask to be added to the list.

-coryc

|     >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<       |
| Cory R. Carpenter, Senior Tech Writer  |                                     |
| Sequent Computer Systems, Incorporated | "The world is my Oster."            |
| Beaverton, Oregon, USA                 | (Unfortunately it's set to puree...)|