Rebuild Advice

To: "Dan Ness" <MORRISGARAGE@delphi.com>
Subject: Rebuild Advice
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 3 Nov 1994 09:01:42 U
   Rebuild Advice

> Well in a few weeks I am going to be pulling the engine
> and tranny out of my '65 B for winter rebuilding.  I am
> having a friend of mine do most of the work.  Does anyone
> have any important suggestions that I may want to pass on
> to him?  I would love to think that someone has a FAQ for
> this type of project, but I doubt it.  Anything that may
> be of any help is greatly appreciated.

  This doesn't exactly fall into the realm of divine
inspiration, but when I'm overhauling engines I always get
a supply of zip lock bags (sandwich and quart size) for
holding little parts, bolts, etc.  I use an indelible pen
to mark a description of the contents on the outside of the
bag.  It REALLY helps when it's time to put things back
together.  Last time I got pretty detailed, and assembly
went very smoothly.  I identify things like:
oil pan hardware, tappet cover bolts, oil filter bolts,
rocker arm studs & nuts, fan blade bolts, motor mount bolts,
ground strap bolt that goes near slave cylinder, etc.  Just
about anything that will fit into a quart size bag gets
tagged.  Sandwich or snack size bags are good for small
items.

          -  Dave L.