JC Whitney MGA top

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: JC Whitney MGA top
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 20:35:53 -0800 (PST)
Greetings!

  Some 10 years ago ( has it really been that long? ) I obtained my `58
MGA.  The car was, shall we say, in ``used'' condition, and I immediately
started a complete trickle ( dribble? )restoration.  Among other things,
I engaged in a veritable orgy of parts buying.

  One of the things I bought, which has languished from that day `til this,
was a brand new convertible top, from JC Whitney.  Their finest kind, the
one with the 5 year warrantee.

   Now the restoration has trickled on to the point where the car needs
the new top.  I got it out, only to find that the material is the ugliest
damn stuff I ever saw.  ``Pinpoint'' vinyl.  Urgh.

   Well, I guess I'm going to have to use it.  Too late to return it to
JC Whitless.  But my friend Dave had an idea... What if that ``pinpoint''
grain was correct and original for the car?  It sure would make me feel
better about it :-).  Anybody know what kind of grain an original MGA top
had?

                                                 - Jerry Kaidor

                 ( jerry@tr2.com )