land Rover drivability

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: land Rover drivability
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 94 16:48:53 -0800
Here's my two cents worth on Land Rover driveability:

This summer, my girlfriend and I took a trip from San Francisco north to
Canada, East through Canada to Edmonton, then South to Utah, and West towards
home.  It was basically a big square, though we concentrated our sightseeing
on Canada.  We had a great time.  My Girlfriend can't drive a stick, so after
three weeks on the road, I was a little tired of sitting behind the wheel,
but that would have been true of any car.

Two years ago, we did a similar thing, heading East to Colorado for the
National Rally, then south and west through Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern
Cal.  Had a great time then, too.

Three years ago I took the Rover to Southern California for a professional
conference.  Those sent by their companies stayed in $150/night hotels.  The
other consultants stayed in the $50/night hotels.  I paid $15/night for the
spot in the trailer park, and had just as nice a place to stay.

In all three trips, we had nothing more than minor problems, that I was able
to take care of myself (even though I'm automotively challenged), or were due
to activities that I wouldn't do alone (like vapor lock when traveling
off-highway.)

I was able to maintain 65 - 70 mph on the freeway, except in the very high
altitudes, where I did lose some power.  (I understand this is because the
carburetor is tuned for low altitude.)  Gas mileage was about 12mph, carrying
a wooden bed and cabinets, stove, chairs, portable toilet, all my
girlfriend's clothes, two people, computer, etc.

One thing I did do, was swap the lumpy offroad tires for Radial Rovers.  Made
a *big* difference. The exhaust should be in good shape, too, and make sure
that the engine is tuned right.  Sure, it's not a Mercedez-Benz, but you
can't sleep in a benz, either.

I did drive my 88" to work everyday for a while, but the engine needed
tuning, and it smoked a lot.  I was able to listen to the radio easily,
though.

Uncle Roger                         "There is pleasure pure in being mad
sinasohn@crl.com                                that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561