He's more than my mechanic ...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: He's more than my mechanic ...
From: dthorp@fnoc.navy.mil (Don Thorp)
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 94 22:40:51 GMT
If you are ever fortunate enough to break down in the
Monterey, California area, take your lbc to
Bill's Auto Center - Foreign Car Service.  He's
in Salinas.  Frank and his wife are owner/operator.
There is no Bill, although there is a bill.

He started as a machinist in London in '45, worked
later for a car company, but couldn't make any good money.
He came to the US in the mid fifties when everyone
wanted someone who could do layouts as well as work
with their hands.  Big money!!

His garage can hold about 6 cars. It usually has 8.
His own XKE and '59 AH "one-six" take up some space,
along with other TR6's and MGB's mostly.  Great guy.
Fun to talk with.  I like the lbc's; he really loves them.

Frank must be pushing 70.  The cars may last a long time,
but sad to say we're loosing all the builders.

--
Don Thorp                                       djt@craywr.cray.com
Cray Research, Inc.                             dthorp@fnoc.navy.mil