Re: Sandblasting small areas

To: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting small areas
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:43:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 28 Apr 1994, Jody Levine wrote:

> I've seen an attachment that has rubber pipe on the end that you put
> right up against the object to be blasted. This contains the sand (recycling
> it, so you have to dump it out once in a while to get sharp stuff in) and
> is quite slow, but does not make a mess. I have no idea what type of

I have a recycling spot blaster.  I bought a model that was the most
expensive and elaborate one I could find, expecting its performance to be
proportional to its price.  It works very poorly with sand, a bit better
with expensive aluminum oxide.  When it works, it blasts a circle about
the size of a quarter, so one would go nuts doing a whole firewall with
it.  I hoped it would work on those little nicks that get out of hand and
turn into quarter-sized rust spots.  If they are in the middle of a flat
panel, it almost works, but invariably, you want to sandblast something
(like the edge of a door) that none of the nozzles fits well, then you
lose expensive media and make a mess.  I plan to give mine another try
before I consign it to the bin full of great tools that didn't work, but I
am not sanguine about it.  I know of a couple of different models and
suppliers if anyone wants to experiment.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910