Re: SmogWoes

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SmogWoes
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 18:47:55 -0400 (EDT)
Sorry for the total lack of lbc content.

Daren griped:>

>      HSAT: "Sir, even though your truck passed all of the
>      measured tests, I had to fail it because the timing is
>      so far off"
>
>      Me:  "How far off is it ?"
>
>      HSAT: (smirkingly) "Um, 90 degrees BTDC"
>
>      Me: "WHAAAAT ?????"
>
>           Now, two things about this seem amiss: first, he
>      struggled to locate the mark initially, and then
>      climbed underneath and marked it with a piece of chalk,
>      and second, would the thing even run at 90 BTDC ?
>      (Stock is 8)

 Short answer. No.

  Long answer. None of my references mention the specs for a Godzilla
brand vehicle. I'm gonna assume it's a V8.
   Four cycle engines fire a given cylinder once every two crankshaft
revolutions, or 720 degrees. Since this is a V8, you have a cylinder
firing every 720 / 8 degrees = 90 degrees.

   Assuming the guy did put the mark in the right spot, he picked the
wrong plug wire to use. Fords are timed with the right front, GM and
Mopars from the left front. The difference between the left and the
right (all V8's) will show up on a timing light as 90 degrees.
 It is also possible that your engine has indexing marks on the pulley for
the "non-timing" bank too, and he used this as the mark. Jag V12s have both
an "A" and a "B" bank mark on the pulley. I can't tell you for sure about
American sleds, as I don't work on them.
   The guy that did this is an idiot. There is no better way to describe it.
If nothing else, upon finding the timing apparently off by 90 degrees he
should have realized that A> it *can't* run, and B> if by some miracle it
did, it can't meet emissions. Basic understanding of engine combustion
would make it clear that there was something wrong, and it was in the test
data.

  You need to take this up with someone. That someone can be this Bozo, his
boss, the BBB, or the state police/CARB (I think. I'm not familier with the
Ca. laws). How nice of a guy are you? :>

    Randy
      randy@taylor.wyvern.com