re: starter survey

To: cak@parc.xerox.com
Subject: re: starter survey
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 22 Apr 1994 16:17 EDT
>From parc.xerox.com!cak Thu Apr 21 23:51:17 1994
>From: "Christopher A. Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
>Pulled Sarah's starter today to rebuild it - she always starts, but
>cranks so slowly that I'm convince she won't one of these days.
>
>Auto Parts Club can't figure out what to do with the part number "the
>book only goes back to 1968".
>Economy Imports would sell me one for $80+exchange, but they don't have any.
>TRF wants $159; no idea if they have any in stock.
>Pacific Auto Electric says "list at $130, we'll do it for $104, but we
>have to rebuild yours".
>
>That's fine, since I don't really want to swap for something that will
>be close but not quite. But why such a variation in price?
>
>What's it cost in your area to rebuild a starter?

Funny you should ask...I just had my tired TR-250 starter rebuilt
locally at XYZ auto electric in my home town.  Cost me $112 total
and they said they installed a new armateur (spelling I know)
and a new pinion gear (I could certainly see the new gear.)
It works like a new starter and they had it done in 24 hours.

Cheers,

Bill Sohl