Re: Sunbeam & Chrysler

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Sunbeam & Chrysler
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 12:56:41 PDT
     Ray Gibbons writes:

After the Series V Alpine production ended, the name was used for a time
for a fastback, which looked like a slightly shrunken first series
Barracuda.  It was probably badge engineering, perhaps of a Hillman, but I
am not really sure of that; I'm working from memory here.  It was imported
here for a couple of years at least, and was a nice little car.  I would
not have likened it to a B210 myself, because I thought the Alpine was at
least unoffensive, and the B210 was ugly.

     >>Oh, I kinda found the later GT both offensive *and*
     ugly ... :-|.

The 68 and later GT should not be confused with an earlier Alpine GT, ca.
1963-64, which had the same body as the Alpine roadster, with a
(removable) hardtop and slightly upgraded interior.  I *think* the latter
GT did not come with the folding top.

     >>As I understand it, the first Alpine to have the designation GT
     was the '63 model, where GT designated a hardtop but no soft
     top. The later GT was a fastback coupe kind of a thing,
     with no convertible version offered. I know that
     *some* of the mechanicals on the later GT were the same
     as on the Alpine, because I used the axles out of a
     steel-wheeled GT to convert from wires on my Series I
     Alpine. Also, I do not believe the later GT used the
     name "Alpine", but was simply called the Sunbeam GT,
     although I could be completely incorrect here.

     The Harrington was yet something else altogether.

     >>Yes, desirable.

          cheers-
                 daren (still looking for a '63 Alpine
     w/wire wheels & O/D) stone