Re: Sunbeam & Chrysler

To: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@sc9.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Sunbeam & Chrysler
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:33:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 22 Apr 1994, Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521 wrote:

>      >>So, dipping into obscure automotive trivia; What
>      insight can the net share about the Sunbeam GT (and no,
>      I don't mean Harrington) ? FYI, it looked a lot like a
>      B210, and was produced in 68-69 (maybe even '70) or
>      so ...
>
>           cheers-
>                  daren

After the Series V Alpine production ended, the name was used for a time
for a fastback, which looked like a slightly shrunken first series
Barracuda.  It was probably badge engineering, perhaps of a Hillman, but I
am not really sure of that; I'm working from memory here.  It was imported
here for a couple of years at least, and was a nice little car.  I would
not have likened it to a B210 myself, because I thought the Alpine was at
least unoffensive, and the B210 was ugly.

The 68 and later GT should not be confused with an earlier Alpine GT, ca.
1963-64, which had the same body as the Alpine roadster, with a
(removable) hardtop and slightly upgraded interior.  I *think* the latter
GT did not come with the folding top.  The Harrington was yet something
else altogether.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910