TR preserving ideas

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR preserving ideas
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 13:21:28 +0100 (BST)
hi

Some of you may wince at the following, but here I what I tried on
received advice from my club ...

I bunged up the drain hole in the chassis members directly above the rear axle
of my TR4 & experimentally squirted in about 1/4 pint of old oil
from the open ends of the box section. The TR frame is slightly nose
down with the car sitting on its wheels, so the oil runs down and collects
towards the front where there is a change of direction to Up in the
box section. Now, one side retained its oil & the other eventually
dumped it all out.

Now, I can figure this out by crawling under the car, but can I ask
those of you with TR2/3/4's whether this weld (I presume) should be
liquid tight? Or do I have a crack in the chassis? Any clues?

It is possible that the side that held up may have been repaired earlier in
its life due to an unexepected meeting with an immovable object ...

The reason I'm doing this is I'm considering a professional Waxoyl-like
job on the underside of the car. I could do it myself & just treat the
box sections, but a pro can do the whole thing & has the necessary
equipment, rather than those troublesome waxoly wands.

Anyhow, I`m considering getting my weld repaired. The chassis is ok
as far as I know.

If you see this on a friday, an email would be appreciated as I'm
going to have a go at this over the weekend & I'm on the digest.
Any all input, negative or otherwise, gratefully received.

Regards, Adrian
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk